1. My Child was born here. Can he/she still receive help from the EL teacher?

A student may receive EL services even if he/she was born in the United States if the student first learned a language other than English and/or comes from a home where a language other than English is usually spoken. The student must qualify for EL services based on the district’s language assessments.

2. My child speaks English well. Why is he/she receiving EL services?

Your child might be an advanced level EL student. Advanced students are often able to speak English well, but they are still learning the academic English necessary to succeed in all of his or her academic classes.

3. Can I refuse EL support for my child?

You may refuse EL support for your child. You will need to contact your child’s EL teacher. The EL teacher will ask you to sign a form and then services will be discontinued. You may request for services to be started at a later date.

4. How long does a student receive EL service?

Normally, students will learn to speak English well in a social setting within 1-3 years. Academic English, the language needed to read, write, and to be successful in school, can take 5-10 years to learn. On-going evaluations will determine the need for continued support.

5. How is a student exited from the EL Program?

State mandated assessments, classroom assessments, teachers’ observations, and student input determines when a student no longer needs EL support. When a student scores “proficient” in the reading, writing, speaking and listening of English on local or state assessments, he/she is monitored for six months and then exited from the EL program. If there is a need, EL services can be resumed.

6. Does the district have bilingual programs?

The EL program is taught in English. The EL teachers may be bilingual, but do not teach a bilingual program.

7. Can the district ask for a student’s immigration status?

No. In 1982, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Plyer v. Doe [457 U.S 202 (1982)] that undocumented students have the same right to attend public school as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. As a result, public schools may not engage in any practices that “chill” or hinder the right or access to school. This includes requiring students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.

8. I don’t speak English very well. Should I try to speak English at home to my child to help him/her learn English better?

  1. Please continue to speak the language you are comfortable speaking in with your child at home. Keeping your language alive will help your child learn English more quickly. For hints as to what you can do at home, please visit this page. http://www.colorincolorado.org/families/

9. I’ve heard so much information about being bilingual and learning a second language. I’m confused!

Please click here to see some of the misconceptions about being bilingual